June 17, 2010

Sneaking into events

I love Ugandans. They are so incredibly friendly. I ran into a photographer at an internet cafe, and he snuck me into a rehearsal of the National Dance/Shaolin group's new performance at the cultural center. I'm not really sure what was happening or who they were, but the main dancer/fighter was balanced on top of 5 spears at one point. They were practicing a piece that somehow was a metaphor for violence against women. And the main performer was the epitome of a prima dona, despite being the most muscled man I've seen in a very long time, scolding everyone in a mixture of Lugandan and English. My new friend Natty got some awesome pictures of it for a newspaper here, and I'll ask him to email them to me soon and I'll put them under this post.

And yes, of course he hit on me. But I don't particularly mind the Ugandan way of hitting on people. We went for coffee and banana cake because I have been craving caffeine and his horoscope told him he would meet his soul mate this month. Ridiculous but funny. And he gave me a bunch of numbers for good people to know in a couple different cities. And then he left without being pushy.

I will write about my Murchison Falls safari when I can do a pictures post.

No comments:

Post a Comment